- Catriona Millar Exclusive Prints
- Spring into Summer Irene McCann May 18 - June 8 2013
- Bling, String and Zing April 27 - May 18
- Living Art Nichola Martin Apr 20 - May 11 2013
- Paintings for Spring Mar 23 - April 13 2013
- An Artist's View Feb 23 - Mar 16 2013
- Xmas Collection Dec 1 2012 - Jan 26 2013
- Edinburgh Art Fair Nov 16 - 18 2012
- John Lowrie Morrison O.B.E Nov 3 - 24 2012
- Inside and Out Oct 6 - 27 2012
- Autumn Exhibition Sept 8 - 29 2012
- Summer Collection June 16 - July 7 2012
- Barbara Robertson May 19 - June 9 2012
- Forthcoming Exhibitions 2012
- Q Collection
Gallery Q participates in Own Art - a national initiative that makes buying contemporary art and craft affordable by letting you spread the cost of your purchase over 10 months with an interest free loan.
I am a contemporary artist originally from Dumfries. I graduated from Duncan of Jordanstone in 2004 and have been painting and exhibiting since.
My work consists of still life, urban landscape, portraiture and figurative oil paintings influenced by my everyday surroundings. I have always worked with varied subject matter as it allows me to experiment and constantly develop in different areas whilst keeping my work fresh.
My paintings are subconscious translations of the world around me, and reflect a sense of longing and mortality. I translate these various themes in paint by using atmosphere, and a strong sense of colour and composition - all executed with a photorealistic approach.
The momento mori theme is reflected in my still lifes through objects such as trapped goldfish, cages, maps and globes, and iconic images of times gone by.
My portraits capture figures firmly rooted within Scottish surroundings, looking disconnected - as if longing for something they can’t reach. My urban landscapes incorporate buildings and doorways that hint at our inquisitive nature - a way of glimpsing inside another person’s realm.
My work also conveys optimism, vibrating with the colour and energy associated with the Scottish Colourists, along with a surrealistic quirkiness that is often greeted with a smile.
I use all of these aspects to captivate and energise the viewer, igniting an initial connection with the painting. This then leads to further consideration where first impressions are deconstructed to discover deeper meanings.
My paintings are influenced by the techniques of Spanish and Italian 16th century chiaroscuro artists and Dutch still life painters. My work, however, is not purely traditional - modern dashes firmly place it in the twenty-first century.
POAT: 01382 220600
Click here to find out more.